Soup is excellent for when you are sick, and the ginger in this particular soup makes this soup particularly comforting during a cold! Not only does it pack a punch for your immune system, but it is also extra flavorful and full of nutritious veggies. The addition of the sweet potato adds a pop of bright color and an extra sweetness! by Isabelle Monseau and Noelle Anglade
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1 prepared rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1’’ piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 quarts of low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ box frozen sweet potato, thawed
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Pick meat from chicken, shred, and place in small bowl (you should have about 4 cups); discard skin and bones.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, 8-10 minutes.
Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often for 2 minutes and season with salt and pepper.
Add shredded chicken, broth, sweet potatoes, and cayenne and bring to a boil.
- Add spinach and divide soup among bowls. Garnish with scallions.